Under construction. Please note: this is a terrible guide to narrative non-fiction and a just-about-ok guide to my taste.
I’d love to read something new, so please get in touch to share what you like! here
- After the sky fell – Brady Dennis (2005)
The few drivers on this dark, lonely stretch of the Suncoast Parkway in Pasco County pull up to the toll booth, hand their dollars to Lloyd Blair and then speed away. None of them knows why the old man sits here, night after night, working the graveyard shift.
- Boomtown girl – Peter Hessler (2001)
Finding a new life in the golden city.
- 15 seconds with David Beckham – Adam Baidawi (2013)
The offer has been laid out. A one-on-one interview with David Beckham. At a party. For 15 seconds. One question, two maybe. Also: I’m not sure it’s definitely David Beckham.
- Dr Don – Peter Hessler (2011)
The life of a small-town druggist.
- Why Silicon Valley billionaires are prepping for the Apocalypse in New Zealand – Mark O’Connell (2018)
How an extreme libertarian tract predicting the collapse of liberal democracies inspired the likes of Peter Thiel to buy up property across the Pacific.
- Tales of the trash – Peter Hessler (2014)
A neighborhood garbageman explains modern Egypt.