Under construction. Terrible guide to narrative non-fiction; just-about-ok guide to my taste.
I’d love to read something new, so please get in touch to share what you like! here
- Boomtown girl – Peter Hessler (2001)
In 1980, the Chinese government gives Shenzhen the status of Special Economic Zone, where free market reforms are tested. It becomes home to a social experiment; its population explodes from 300,000 to more than four million. The average Shenzhen resident is less than 29 years old.
Ma Li moves there.
- 15 seconds with David Beckham – Adam Baidawi (2013)
The offer has been laid out. A one-on-one interview with David Beckham. At a party. For 15 seconds. One question, two maybe. Also: I’m not sure it’s definitely David Beckham.
- Dr Don – Peter Hessler (2011)
The life of a small-town druggist.
- World Football Cup an alternative to FIFA and a lesson in geopolitics – Matthew Engel (2018)
World’s dispossessed and never-will-be nations have been brought together in a tournament hosted by a small Somali port but being played in London.
- Tales of the trash – Peter Hessler (2014)
A neighborhood garbageman explains modern Egypt.